Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Black Magic in Not Quite Navy...so for me Navy Magic?

I must say, the past few days are a complete blur.  Our family surprised my mother on Friday for her 60th birthday.  Between coordinating her being out of the house, setting up tables, decorating, chopping food etc etc and serving about 100 people, the day was a long one, but TOTALLY worth it.  My mother is a total jewel and I appreciate her so much.  I know you all probably have wonderful mothers as well, but mine is just a bit more awesome than any other...ok yes, I am totally biased.

I made her a bday card using the black magic technique and of course in all the rush of things forgot to take a picture of it.  So, instead I'll share a card I made for Jamie (aka girl in the photo with me who hardly EVER blogs but I still *heart* her).  For my mom's card, I actually used black card stock but for Jamie's I felt like it would be too much contrast with the DS paper I picked out.  So, I went with Not Quite Navy. 


Steps to Create the Cuteness:
1.  Stamped the Inspired by Nature flowers using white craft ink and let dry...well..or get impatient and use a heat gun to speed up the process.
2.  Color image with SU colored pencils starting with the lighter colors and working my way out to the darker tones.
3.  Use a white gel pen to create extra highlights around the flowers and leaves/stems. 
4.  After cutting out my DS paper, flip it over repeatedly in trying to decide which side I like best. 
5.  Cut off bottom half of my stamped card stock in realizing it won't all fit on my card.  I even contemplated slicing through the whole thing to create that cool effect that some people do, but I was simply to scared to do it after all that coloring.
6.  Add a so saffron bow to make it even more cute, but I'm still not totally satisfied with how my bow tying came out.
7.  Take a deep breath, and glue it all down.

Jamie loved the card.  Mom loved the card.  I love the technique and will probably have to demo it at my next club meeting.  Oh so fun.

Happy Stampin'!!

Products Used (All Stampin' Up):
DS Paper (Retired), Colored Pencils, White Craft Ink, White Gel Pen, So Saffron Ribbon (Retired) 

2 comments:

  1. I read your title and I wasn't so sure about how that would look, but I see the picture, and I'm impressed. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun technique, love your take on it!! The highlighting looks great. Following from SC.

    ReplyDelete